One of the beautiful new papers in the new Stampin’ Up! Catalog is the Foil Frenzy Specialty Designer Series Paper and is perfect for making boxes and bags for gifts such as this 2-4-6-8 Box. This 12 x 12 kraft paper has foil designs printed on it, twelve sheets with 1 each of 3 single-sided designs in 4 colors. It is beautiful and you will want it in your stash for making that special gift bag or box or card. The dots on this box I made are all gold (In case they look green in the photo with the glare!).
I punched two holes in the top, after pinching the top together and the sides in a bit. The ribbon I chose is the gorgeous Gold 3/8″ Metallic-Edge Ribbon. You will want to add this ribbon to your order for those really special projects…..well, if you can hold off on not using on every project because it is so elegant!
The greeting on the front is stamped from the Label Me Pretty Stamp Set and punched out with the 1 3/8″ Circle Punch. I adhered it to a piece of Gold Foil punched with the Pretty Label Punch. (This punch is presently backordered until July 10th but you can still order it.) Actually you will want to get the “Bundle”, the punch and stamp set, so you can save 10%! And you’ll just want both of them even if you weren’t saving 10%! For another embellishment, I adhered two Gold Faceted Gems on each side of the label.
Here’s how to make the 2-4-6-8 box: It’s very easy and has been around a long time. No pattern required!
- My box is made with an 8 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ piece of paper. You can vary the measurements depending on the size you want your box. If your paper has a pattern, decide where the bottom of the bag is. Score at 2″ on one side which will become the bottom tabs.
- Then turn the paper the other way and score at 2″, 4″, 6″ and 8″……hence, the 2-4-6-8 box! That will leave a 1/2″ edge on one side of the paper. This is where you will put a strong adhesive later on.
- Now that the box is scored, hold the paper with the bottom portion at the bottom and cut up to the horizontal score line on each score line to make the bottom tabs. That little 1/2″ piece on the bottom should just be cut off.
- Crease all the score lines and see how the box will go together.
- Apply a strong adhesive along that 1/2″ edge, preferably Tear & Tape or Multipurpose Liquid Glue. If you lay the box flat on the table, you can just fold the other side over to adhere.
- Figure out where the backside of the box will be so the seam doesn’t show from the front. Fold the back tab at the bottom in and fold the other tabs in as well. If they don’t line up perfectly, just trim with a scissors. Use a little bit of glue to hold the tabs in place for the bottom of the box.
- Put your gift inside, punch holes in the top for ribbon to tie shut or leave open, add a handle, whatever you like. Embellish the box if you like.
- You can vary the measurements, making the box shorter or taller. The bottom tabs need to be the same width as the side panels of the box. Then you need that little 1/2″ strip at the edge of the paper so you have to consider that math as you figure out the sizes.
In the photo below you can see that 1/2″ strip where I applied the Tear & Tape Adhesive.
Now that you know how to make a 2-4-6-8 box, go try one yourself! You might like to use computer paper on your first one to see how it works. Use the Stampin’ Trimmer or the Simply Scored scoring board to to do the scoring.
If you make your 2-4-6-8 Gift Box or Gift Bag with the Foil Frenzy Specialty Designer Series Paper, you will have a special box indeed!